From the VIUFA Terms of Reference:
The Contract Negotiating Committee shall:
- develop contract proposals concerning salary and conditions of employment; and
- oversee negotiations with the representatives of Vancouver Island University.
The Chair of the Contract Negotiating Committee shall:
- chair meetings of the Contract Negotiating Committee;
- attend meetings of the appropriate FPSE Committee;
- represent the VIUFA in other venues as directed by the VIUFA Membership;
- chair the Bargaining Committee if one has been appointed by the Executive; and
- report on the activities of the committee(s) to the Executive and to general meetings as required.
- Report back to the VIUFA Executive and members (as required) about the activities and decisions of the FPSE Bargaining Coordination Committee;
- Represent the VIUFA in other venues and VIU committees as directed by the VIUFA Executive;
- Attend and report at Labour/Management meetings;
- Work with the VIUFA Labour Relations Advisor and Chief Personnel Steward on issues and cases related to Contract interpretation and enforcement;
- Draft Contract language, Letters of Understanding, Letters of Agreement, Practice Letters and hiring protocol;
- Educate VIUFA members about the Collective Agreement, particularly with reference to hiring practices;
- Attend Executive and General Membership Meetings;
- Represent VIUFA on other committees or at meetings as requested by the President and VIUFA Executive;
- Report at Executive meetings and the Annual General Meeting;
- Be a signing officer in relation to VIUFA’s operations; and
- Attend Table Officers’ meetings.
2 Sections of Release (4 sections in a bargaining year)