The nine (9) month limitation applies to 1) polishing, 2) the application of fluoride, and 3) the recall itself. The nine (9) month limitation does not apply to scaling; any current scaling limits in dental contracts apply.
The process for an individual faculty employee to have his/her teeth cleaned more frequently than every nine (9) months as provided by Former Common Agreement Article 9.2.1 (d) is as follows:
- Faculty employee visits dentist as usual
- Dentist advises that the faculty employee has gum disease or other dental problem which requires cleaning more frequently than every nine (9) months
- Dentist fills in the usual claim form, but in addition notes that the faculty employee has gum disease or specifies the other dental problem that requires more frequent cleaning
- Faculty employee or dentist submits the form to the Insurance Carrier as normal
- The Insurance Carrier determines if the reasons set out by the dentist fit within the approved reasons under the dental plan for having teeth cleaned more frequently than every nine (9) months
The employers’ approval of the more frequent cleaning is not required.